Friday, June 22, 2012

Great Hair Fridays - Linda Darnell

I'm trying out a new series of posts - Great Hair Fridays. I'll pick a different starlet or hairstyle to feature in each post. Let me know what you think!

Linda Darnell in "A Letter to Three Wives"
I think Linda Darnell is one of those talented actresses that is often overshadowed by other starlets of her time. Although her personal life was troubled and later in life she suffered from alcoholism, (what starlet's life was perfect?) she had a successful career as an actress and model. (You can thank her mother pushed her into a modeling career at the age of 11.)

Darnell made her film debut in the role of Marcia Bromley in the film Hotel for Women (1939). She was 16 when the film was produced which made her one of the youngest leading ladies in Hollywood at that time. Some of her best known films are Forever Amber (1947), Unfaithfully Yours (1948) and A Letter to Three Wives (1949).

One of the things I admire most about Linda Darnell is her very versatile look. While some starlets kept to a signature hairstyle - Veronica Lake's peek-a-boo hairstyle for example - Darnell didn't seem to be afraid of trying something different. She was a gal who looked great no matter what! Seriously, do a Google image search on her. You will be amazed at the number of photos that turn up.

 Here she is with long flowing locks and a nice curly up-do.

Linda Darnell c. 1943

Linda Darnell with Laird Cregar in Hangover Square, 1945

I love her look with victory rolls, especially this first photo of her in the plane. I'm trying to master a victory roll hairstyle for myself and I'm using these photos as references.

Swing Fashionista
Linda Darnell, age 16 c. 1939

Linda Darnell as a cheer leader
I'm not sure when this last photo was taken, but I'm guess late 1930s. Isn't she a dish! And what a great hat too. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I wish I could get my hair to do anything *close* to these styles!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...