Monday, July 1, 2013

1930s Pattern Catalogs for Evening Frocks

Greeting all,
So Cori and have finished moving all our stuff to my parents house. Now we need to unpack and figure out where to put everything, ugh... Well, most of our dishes and kitchen stuff will go into storage and everything else will go back into my old room and another spare room. Fortunately for us we didn't need to move a lot of furniture. The apartment we moved out of was mostly furnished to begin with. We only needed to move a bed, dresser, table, and a few other things. This is good for a couple of reasons. The main reason being the storage issue and two the weekend we moved was either really hot or it was pouring rain!!

All of my vintage clothing, sewing supplies, patterns, etc are still packed. I'm itching to make something new but I don't know where anything is! Guess I'll be spending the next week or sorting through it all. But on a side note, I do have two lovely pattern catalogs to share with you! These came in the mail on Saturday. I was smart and had them shipped to my parents house thus avoiding the need to have them packed away. :)

I posted an image of this first one last week on my Facebook page because I was so excited about it. The seller had this one and another list and I won them both! Yeah!!

The first catalog is an original edition of Bestway Evening Frocks, a 16 page magazine-format pattern catalog published in the U.K. This issue features illustrations of evening gowns available as patterns from the publisher. Included with this issue is the complete tissue pattern to make the dresses and bolero jacket shown on the center and left side of the front cover. There is an article in the magazine with the instructions.

The dress on the far right, with the addition of a small train, might just make a lovely wedding dress. :) I made the pictures extra large so you can see all the lovely details.

1930s Bestway Fashions pattern catalog for evening gowns
1930s Bestway Fashions pattern catalog for evening gowns
The second catalog is an original 1930s edition of Weldon Evening Fashions, a 16 page magazine-format pattern catalog also published in the U.K. This issue features illustrations of evening gowns available as patterns from the publisher. Like the Bestway catalog, this one also came with tissue patterns pieces to make the two evening dresses shown on the front cover.

1930s Weldon Evening Fashions pattern catalog
1930s Weldon Evening Fashions pattern catalog

3 comments:

  1. Oh this is just so ironic that you have one of these magazines. I just recently got a similar type of magazine too. Not either of these. Will you make a dress from one of these patterns? I would be so interested to see how you do with the directions. There really isn't much to the directions in my issue:) Aren't the illustrations just marvelous? Oh so lovely, I hope you do sew a 30's garment next:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanna,
    There is a good possibility my wedding dress will be made from the Bestways pattern. But I can't make up my mind. I keep going back and forth between that and a few other designs. Good thing the wedding is still a year away!

    I think my next project will be another 1920s dress, this time for day wear. I have an event coming up later this month and my green evening dress won't really work.
    A 1930s day dress is not far off though! I just picked up some lovely 30s reproduction cotton.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Your fabric selection will be interesting to also see:))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...