Friday, January 3, 2014

I Want to Know - New Year's Sewing Resolutions

What are your New Year's Sewing Resolutions? Do you have any special sewing projects in mind for 2014? What are your sewing related goals? I would to hear them!


Here are my New Year's sewing resolutions in no particular order.

1. Continue using fabrics, thread, buttons, etc. from the stash. I was really good about this last year. It's great to make use of what you already have AND it keep the costs of sewing projects low.

2. Really go through, organize, and take note of what's actually in that stash. You certainly wont use something if you don't know it's there.

3. Get my sewing workspace organized! (This one seems like it's a never ending battle.)

4. Prioritize and complete as many unfinished projects as possible. 

5. Stock the "Made by Me" section of my Etsy shop. At this time it's empty but my goal is to have at least 6 items to list by spring time.

6. Learn a new sewing or crafting skill.

7. Be better about taking construction and "behind the seams" pictures of my sewing projects. I really like seeing work in progress pictures and it's one of the things I really enjoy about other people's blogs. Also interior shots of antique and vintage clothing are really helpful to people like me who want to create something similar. Which leads me to number 8.

8. Take and post more pictures of some of my antique and vintage items. This will be much easier when I get my new camera.

9. Comment more on the blog I love.

10. Organize a blogger sewing exchange. I thought it would be fun to exchange a little group of items - such as patterns, fabric, buttons, lace, and/or accessories - and have another blogger style them however she wants and share the results. I'm not sure exactly how to do this, I'm still brainstorming, so any suggestions are most welcome. Draw names from a hat maybe to pair people together?

So there you have it! Wishing everyone a happy and joyful New Year! 

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful goals. Do you have a specific sewing technique you'd like to learn? I'd like to learn more about sizing patterns. I'm also hoping to go on a sewing retreat in the spring. There are two major patterns I'd like to accomplish this year besides the one I am working on. I have a Vogue Paris Original that I bought for only $15 which was a big fluke. I'd like to make this one, this year. Looking forward to seeing your creations you've made! I also just love looking at the details behind the seams and how wonderful some of the construction techniques are. It amazes me the attention to detail in the hand stitched garments, especially those from the 20s and before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Let's see...mine goes something like: ditto on #1, 2, 4, and 7! :-)

    I really the idea of some kind of swap or exchange project, with the goal of blogging about the process and results! The most challenging part will be coming up with a way to be sure both parties in the swap agree that they're working with an equal exchange of materials. In some cases, too, you'd also have to pair up an individual and her materials with someone working in the same general period. But this is a splendid idea and definitely one worth pursuing! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very good point about having an equal exchange of materials. I wonder too, depending on the number of participants, if there is a way to divide them into to groups - historic/costuming and vintage/modern sewers. Lots to think about but this is something I'm really excited about! Glad your in!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, if you did a vintage style sewing blogger exchange I would DEFINITELY be in!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...