Friday, July 18, 2014

When To Keep and When To Sell

Over the years I've accumulated quite the collection of "stuff" i.e. vintage and antique clothing and other items, fabric, sewing notions, etc. Each piece is special in its own way and has a story to tell. It's hard to let things go. But sometimes that's just what you need to do. I've reached a point in life where many changes are being or are about to be made. As I'm sure you are all aware I'll be getting married this fall. But on top of that Cori and I have started looking for a house to buy. Talk about a big change! We viewed our first house on Monday which was pretty exciting. It has a lot of the features we like but we want to look at a couple different places before making any decisions.

Last June we moved out of our awesome apartment. I miss that place. Did I ever show you pictures? I don't think I did! We had the whole second floor of an old farmhouse to ourselves. For a number of reasons we opted to move back to my parents' house. While not ideal it has allowed us to save a good amount of money that would otherwise go out the window for rent. For the last few months we have been house sitting for some family friends. It's been nice but we are SO ready for our own place. So much of our stuff is still packed in boxes and it never seems to be in the right place. It's frustrating not being able to find things when you need them.

The old apartment. I really miss my little porch!
So what's the point of this post? Well, lately I've been looking at my vintage clothing and all the things in my sewing stash and myself asking "Do I really need this?" "Am I really going to wear/use this any time soon?" It's time to down size my collection. At the same time I want to upgrade by adding/making things I know I'm going to really use. I've listed a few things here and there but it's time to be a little more diligent about it.

Does this mean I'm going to stop accumulating "stuff"? Well, that's really a silly question isn't it? ;) But seriously, knowing that we are going to be moving in the, hopefully near, future has pushed me to really look at things, think about storage, etc..

I posted on Facebook last week about this dress. I couldn't decide if I should keep it or sell it so I asked for your help. I absolutely love this dress but it's something I've never worn, and I'm not likely to any time soon. It's a little big in the bust for me but otherwise fits nicely. My decision is to try and pass it along to someone else. It's a darling little dress but it won't do anyone any good if it stays packed away never to be enjoyed.

Steal My Heart 1940s Formal Party/Wedding Dress
In an effort to find vintage dresses for my bridesmaids I've picked up some larger size dresses in the last few months. This is one that didn't make the cut. I really adore it but it is way too big for me. Could it be remade to fit? Of course, but I know I don't have the time or energy to make that happen. Too many projects going on and not enough sewing hours in the day. I'm really hoping this too will find a new home and be loved and enjoyed. Does anyone else find it hard to let things go?

1940s Pink Embroidered Butterflies
Need a vintage wedding dress? Yeah, I have a few of those too.

Vermont Liquid Satin Wedding Gown 1940s
If you see something in the shop that you like please let me know. I'm happy to answer any questions or take additional pictures. I will also check on international shipping rates. Don't be afraid to make me an offer on an item. It doesn't hurt to ask as long as your offer is reasonable. :) Right now I'm having a sale but followers of my blog will always receive a 10% discount, just use the code BLOGFAN at check out.

Use the Code FLASHSALE and Save 15% Ends July 31st

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...