Monday, May 18, 2015

Future Plans - I Need Your Help!

Big plans for the future everyone! This post to really just to "test the waters," as the saying goes. For quite some time now, I have seriously considered the idea of making reproduction and vintage inspired clothing to sell. I have found, and heard from many bloggers and re-enactors, that it can be difficult to find true vintage and authentic reproductions in certain sizes and at an affordable price. There are several excellent vendors who sell reproduction and vintage inspired clothing, however, I feel like there are still some gaps in the market.

While most of my sewing has been for myself, I have made a few pieces for friends over the years (see prom dresses) and several things for Cori. Whenever I go to events in vintage or historic clothing people always ask about what I'm wearing and where I get my clothing. When I say I've made something, one of the most common responses is "do I make things to sell?" I've listed some items on Etsy but have not put the time and energy into the shop like I could (although I did list a couple new things this month). It's really more of an online yard sale. I'm hoping I can change that in the future. The last few months have been spent researching how to start a small business, and boy it there a lot to learn!! From writing a business plan, figuring out how to file taxes, and basic marketing skills, it's rather exhausting but no less exciting. There are still many things to think about and work out. This is just the start.

I have made a handful of items to sell (like this dress and these) but would like to expand in the future and offer a wider variety of items but I need your help! I'd like to ask for some honest feedback if I may. You've all seen my work, what do you think? Do you think there's room for another small vintage clothing business? My long-term goal would be to provide living historians, vintage lovers, and swing dancers well-made reproduction and vintage inspired clothing and accessories from affordable materials without sacrificing historic charm or durability. I plan to keep the whole things small, especially to start. I don't foresee ever being able to quit my day job to sew full time but I guess you never know!


Please take a few moments to answers the questions in my online survey to help me get started. In addition, please feel free to contact me with any additional comments or suggestions. I had some difficulty embedding the HTML code in this post so hopefully it works, if not you can view my survey here or scroll through the survey on the upper right hand side of my blog. I should point out that I limited by the number of questions I could ask in this survey without paying for an upgraded account. I'm sure there will be a lot more market research to do down the road. Creating a small business is something very new to me so any support, encouragement and feedback to most welcome! Thank you!





Create your own user feedback survey

8 comments:

  1. YAY!! I'm SO excited for you, Emily! I think there's always room for a new vintage clothing shop, especially if the garments can be more on the affordable side, if you know what I mean. I realize, however, that with prices of materials the way they are these days, the cost gets up there fast!
    I'm so excited for your new plans, and can't wait to see what unfolds! I have no doubt you will do very well, especially since you're an amazing seamstress.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Esther! Yes, I'm very excited too! I have a local source for some good quality and relatively inexpensive fabrics. The a shop carries discounted and discontinued fabrics for good prices. I buy a lot of fabrics for my own projects there. It's very hit or miss, like going to a thrift shore, so I tend to buy things when I'm there even if I don't have a specific project in mind. I'm hoping I can "stock up" on some of their vintage appropriate fabrics that way I can pass the saving on. :) Still lots of things to work out so we will see.
      -Emily

      Delete
  2. I took the survey! I can't wait to hear about your progress in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Feel free to share the survey with others!
      -Emily

      Delete
  3. I just took the survey too! I'm so excited to see where you go with this Emily!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brigid! I'm still very much in the planning/research stage but I have soooo many ideas!
      -Emily

      Delete
  4. I took the survey! This is an awesome idea!! I've seen a couple of these types of small businesses start to crop up (Wearing History you probably already know about, I also just found The Gold Hatted Lovers in AUS), and more/different places to shop is such a great thing! Best of luck getting this started!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are on a hard, rewarding, exciting path here and I applaud you.

    YOU GO GIRL!!!

    Lyric

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...