Monday, November 2, 2015

Halloween - Cruella and Zap

Another Halloween past, but what a fun time! My friends Kris and Erin hosted another awesome party Saturday night. I spent the day helping them decorate the house and prep food. I made an apple pie! Last year the theme for costumes was the board game and movie, "Clue." This year it was a little more broad, cartoon or comic/super heroes.

I had a couple different ideas for a costume, but due to tight funds and lack of time to make something new, I resorted to combing through my vintage wardrobe to see what I could piece together. I decided to go as Cruella de Vil  from 101 Dalmatians. Cori went as Zap Brannigan from the show Futurama and it was awesome!! Especially as two other guests came as Lela and Scruffy the Janitor. We didn't know what everyone was going to be until all the guests arrived.

Photo by Kris Jarrett Photography and Media Production
Photo by Kris Jarrett Photography and Media Production
Photo by Kris Jarrett Photography and Media Production
I ended up wearing the same 1950s black dress I wore last year as Mrs. White. I paired it will a super soft 1950s coat, a fox wrap, fur trimmed hat, rhinestone jewelry, red belt, a horrible black and white wig (more on that in a bit) black heels, and red retro seamed stockings from What Katie Did. The wig and stockings were the only things I purchased special for the costume. There are lots of great images of Glenn Close as Cruella de Vil online which served as my main inspiration for the costume. Any opportunity to wear my sparkly rhinestones is a big plus because I have so few occasions to do so.

Photo by Kris Jarrett Photography and Media Production
Photo by Kris Jarrett Photography and Media Production
So the wig ...... Ugh! Actually it didn't out better then expected considering what it looked like when I first took it out of the package. I paid $7 for it at Walmart and let me tell you, I got what I paid for. While half black, half white Crella wigs can be found online, I really didn't want to spend the money on them so I went cheap. My wig was suppose to be some kind of vampire wig, I think. The picture didn't look too bad so I figured what the heck. But it was HORRIBLE!!! So fluffy and shaggy with all kinds of weird layers in all the wrong places!!! Combing helped some but not much. So I cut about 5 inches off to try and even it up. Then I tried curling it with foam rollers and settle lotion. Fail. I combed and trimmed it a little more then I tried curling it using hair spray and hot rollers. Fail! There was no styling this thing!!! At this point I didn't know what to do with the stupid thing and had no time to shop for a different wig. Major grumble!! So the afternoon of the party I trimmed it yet again and figured out a way to pin it back that look half way decent and used some hair spray to fluff out one side. With the hat pinned in place I decided it would have to do. It was just a costume after all.

Photo by Kris Jarrett Photography and Media Production
Photo by Kris Jarrett Photography and Media Production
Cori's costume was created using two red shirts purchased at Walmart and yellow felt from our local fabric store. He borrowed a pair of white gloves from me (I can't believe they fit) and painted a pair of rubber boots from the hardware store.

Photo by Kris Jarrett Photography and Media Production
One of the fun things about parties with Kris and Erin is that Kris is a professional photographer so we all get awesome photos! Kris is lucky to have enough space in his home to set up a studio for photo shoots.

Photo by Kris Jarrett Photography and Media Production
My Outfit Details
1950s Dress - Trunk of Dresses
Hat - Thrifted
Rhinestone necklace and bracelet - locale antique shop
Rhinestone jewelry -Thrifted/local antique shops
Red retro seamed stockings - What Katie Did
Wig - Walmart
Lip color - Red Velvet by Besame

Cori's Outfit Details
Zap's red uniform - Made by Cori
White gloves - Thrifted
Boots - Hardware store

4 comments:

  1. Awesome costumes! Hehe Cori's Zap -costume made me giggle :D My favourite character in Futurama :D And now I really want to dress up as Cruella in some future Halloween party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific costumes!!! You guys really hit it out of the ballpark this year with all of your fab Halloween ensembles.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even dresses up as Cruella, you are adorable!! Nice pull together on your costume!!
    Blessings!
    g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! Great!
    I wanted to go as Cruella but ended up going as Hugh Hefner, the hubby was a playboy bunny...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...