Friday, February 19, 2016

GBVS's 1950s Winter Formal

Finally getting around to sharing these pictures!. The Great Boston Vintage Society hosted another amazing event back in December. Their annual winter formal, held at the Carrie Nation Restaurant and Cocktail Club, was 1950s themed in honor of Frank Sinatra's 100th birthday. Formal events are always a blast and it's not often that Cori and I get the chance to dress in 1950s fashions.

Photo by Tobias Karlsson
I wore a 1950s vintage dress that I purchased a few years back from the shop Who Is Sylvia? Believe it or not but this is the first time I have worn this dress! As I said, there are not many occasions near by for 50s formal wear which is really sad. The dress is made from faux taffeta and makes that great rustling sound when you move. The print reminds me of peacock feathers.

A few quick picture before leave the hotel. Please pardon the crappy background.
I paired the dress with a double strand of pearls, a lovely gift from Jessica of Chronically Vintage, 50s vintage clip on earrings, and gold and pearl pin I picked up last winter. The "bubbles" are little pearls and rhinestone, how fun! The gold belt is actually from the 1980s but goes very nicely with the dress and picks up the gold tones in the fabric.

I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with my hair but I'm pleased with the results. First I pin curled my hair and let it dry over night. I made two small victory rolls in front then twisted the rest of my hair in back, sort of a mock French twist, and piled the curls on top of my head. I used a lot of tiny bobby pins to hold the curls in place. Two little combs with pearl accents helped secure the twist along with more bobby pins.



Cori wore his original 1940s tux. It fits him so well! The tux is something my mom picked up for me years ago when I first started collected clothing. (Waaaay before I had even met Cori.) His shirt, tie, shirt studs, cuff links and pocket hankie are all vintage too. It's no wonder he won bested dressed for the guys that night!

Photo by Tobias Karlsson
Jason, our host, with the three finalists. We thought the gentleman in the kilt would win for sure! Photo by Tobias Karlsson
The best dressed guy and gal! Isn't her dress stunning?!? Photo by Tobias Karlsson
We danced the night away listening to live music provided by the Beantown Swing Orchestra and singer John Stevens who preformed holiday songs and all the best known classics by Frank Sinatra. We also enjoyed a dance performance by the Chifferobe Tropigals.

You can see more photos from the event here. Be sure to check out the new website for the GBVS to find out about upcoming vintage style events in the Boston area.

Outfit details
Me
Necklace - Gift from Jessica of Chronically Vintage 
Champagne pin and earrings - Stone House Antiques
1940s Army Air Corp Sweetheart bracelet - Fort Anne Antiques 
Vintage petticoats - Thrifted
Retro pink seamed stockings - What Katie Did
Shoes - Payless? Can't remember

Cori
Mid 1940s tux - Something my mom picked up for me years ago! No idea where she found it!
Vintage tuxedo shirt, Arrow collar and bow tie- Etsy
Swank shirt studs -Quechee Antique Mall
Cuff links -Stone House Antiques
Tiffany Co. gold collar studs - gift from family friend
WWII reproduction "Brother in Service" pin - National WWII Museum
Shoes - Stacy Adams

1 comment:

  1. You look so classy and elegant Emily! A vision indeed xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...