Friday, February 10, 2017

More From the Ladies Home Journal, February 1943

I would like to share a few more images from my February 1943 copy of Ladies Home Journal. (For fashion-related images from the magazine see this post.) Vintage magazines are so much fun to read through. The images I picked for today are all health and beauty related. Three of my favorite 1940s movie stars have ads in this magazine. Hedy Lamarr, Rita Hayworth and Rosalind Russell. I've always wondered if they star who advertised products actually used them on a regular basis. What do you think?




It seems ladies in the 1940s worried about their weight too, just like many of us today.



How about this ad for nail polish? I find little things like this helpful when choosing make-up and nail colors for an authentic look.  I also appreciate that, given it's 1943 and WWII is in full swing, the ad features a female shop worker. Just because you're working in a factory doesn't mean you can't have pretty nails! Or so the ad would lead us to believe. ;)



Even this lovely lady, recently engaged, has her nails painted!

3 comments:

  1. These are fun! I love the nail polish insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hedy Lamar is one of my faves. I based my fictional character in my novel The Girl in the Jitterbug Dress, on her looks. Did you know her invention paved the way for the cell phones we now use? Fascinating lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hedy, Rita and Rosalind - 40s goddesses for sure :+)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...