Monday, November 30, 2015

My First Blog Interview

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! Cori and I enjoyed a quiet turkey day together then had a bigger family gathering on Sunday.

Excited news for you today. As some of you may know, Jessica of Chronically Vintage has been conducting interviews with vintage bloggers from around the globe. Her "Meet a fellow vintage blogger" interview series has been a lot of fun to follow. And today I am her featured blogger!! I'm very excited and had a lot of fun answering her questions. I've been following Jessica since I started blogging and really feel I have found a kindred vintage loving spirit.

Hop on over to Chronically Vintage to read her post!

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

New Goodies and a Sale!

Hello all! I quick post today to let you know I'm have an etsy sale this weekend. I've added some new items, including some awesome holiday gowns, and will try and post a few more things later today. Between Thursday Nov. 26th and Monday Nov. 30th save 20% with the code "THANKS20."

1940s Velvet and Striped Evening Dress

1940s Formal Black Velvet and Striped Taffeta Halter Dress
What do you think of my backdrop? I've been collecting vintage aprons for awhile but was never sure what to do with them. I used little pins to tack these to the wall in our dinning room. I have a few more in the hall. :) It's been a fun way to display them.

I do occasionally wear aprons in the kitchen but some of my vintage ones are to fragile, or just too nice, to wear around food! The orange check on was made some time in the 1940s or 1950s by my dad's mother. It's one of the only pieces I have from her.

Purple 1940s Style Formal Dress with Lace Bodice
1930s White Ruffle Wedding/Formal Dress
Be sure to watch for my blogger interview post on Chronically Vintage next week. I will be offering a separate discount code that will run longer then the one above

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Green Silk Sacques

I was searching online recently and found some images of a lovely 18th century gown and thought "Hey, that looks familiar!" It's making me have second thoughts about remodeling my own green silk sacque.
But only a little. :)

 Robe a la Francaise 1725, European, Made of silk - Source

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Two Lace Ladies

I've wanted to photograph these two dresses together for a while now. I finally had the chance this fall and thankfully the weather cooperated. The dresses look much better outside against our stunning fall backdrop then they would have looked inside. Sadly all that beautiful color is gone now that we are well in to November. The gown with the long train is of course my wedding dress and the other is the one I made to wear to the reception.

This is actually the first time I've pulled these dresses out since packing them away after the wedding. Please forgive the wrinkled fabric as I didn't take the time to steam them.

You can read all about the construction of these dresses here. But I thought this was a good time to share some more detailed shots too. :) (There are loads of wedding photos in this post. If you're interested in how I planned my vintage themed wedding check out this post.)

Normally you want your bias tape to match your project. I used peach bias tape to bind the neck, arms and hem of my wedding gown because that's what I had on hand at the time. Plus I really didn't care that it didn't match, I just wanted the dress done!

My felt flowers are still looking nice! The corsages were costume made by Lucy of 1940s Style for You. Lucy also runs an Etsy shop of the same name. I made all our bouquets using wool felt, floral wire and an array of vintage mother of pearl, plastic and rhinestone buttons. I know I took photos while I was making them but can't seem to find the flash drive that hold them. Pooh! But when I do I'll post a tutorial for sure!

At some point I plan to do some major deconstruction and refitting of my reception dress. I had to resize the pattern which created some fitting issues with the bodice. It was thrown together pretty quickly the week before the wedding and never fit right. I don't like looking at the picture of me wearing it because I can see how wonky it is. Anyone else have projects like that? It would make a great outfit for a fancy News Year's Eve party so it's totally worth spending some time to fix it if I can.

I plan to do the following to my reception dress:

- Detach the skirt and bodice
- Rework the bodice to remove the excess fabric/bulk from neck and bust area. I added way to much ease when I resized the pattern. This should help the neck lay a little smoother. It's also tight under the arms so I need to do something about that.
- Shorten the skirt 2 to 3 inches
- Replace the zipper with one that is less bulky.

And a few last shots of me with my creations. And a peak at how I look on a non vintage day, which I'll be honest is most days during the week. I'm really a jeans and t-shirt (or sweater if it's chilly!) kind of girl, but that's because my work day starts so early and I'm lazy in the mornings!

There, now you're totally sick of seeing wedding dress photos! :)

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Vintage Life Miss December Contest

Hello everyone!
I entered one of my wedding photos in the Vintage Life Magazine Miss December contest! The Vintage Life Team will pick the winner but they take the number of likes, comments, and shares for each photo into consideration. Here is the link that will take you directly to the photo album. I entered this one last year and thought I would try it again.

I would love it if you could like, comment, and share my photo! Even if I only make runner up, I admit it would be a little dream come true. ;)
Thanks everyone! :)

Photo by Kris Jarrett Photography and Media Production
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...