Tuesday, September 10, 2019

2018 in Review

Sooooo, this post has been sitting in my draft folder since January. Not sure why I never completed it. Oh well! Better late then never I suppose! My blog has been sadly neglected this year so I figured a post of some sort was long over due. For more regular posts and updates, follow me on Instagram.
 
I felt like I hadn't really created much in 2018, but after compiling this list it seems I sewed I lot more than I thought! So here's a quick recap of 2018.

I finished quite a few things that had been languishing in the UFO pile and listed them either in Etsy or on Facebook. Check them out here!

From the UFO pile of past years - 1940s pinafore with rickrack trim
Cherry print pinafore
Asian print 40s dress
purple and white 40s dress
2 bolero jackets
green 40s pants and bolero
pink 40s Scottie dog blouse

My bigger sew-to-sell projects included these 1920s inspired headbands using vintage trims, several self-tying 1940s turban and TWO pairs of 1930s beach pajamas using the awesome Wearing History pattern.


Wish I knew her name! A lovely customer wearing one of my headpieces!

As for sewing projects for myself I made (or finished from the UFO pile) the following in 2018.

1920s velvet dress
1940s blue silk tap pants
Helped Erin with her 1940s dress
1770s silk gown - 90% complete
1930s beach pajamas
1940s wool plaid Du Barry dress
Repaired a vintage evening dress for Reading dance
Red/green plaid skirt - 90% complete




Events in 2018
Northeast Reenactors Fair
GBVS White Lightning Ball - made dress
Timeline Orange, Mass- WAVES and plane spotters
Mid Atlantic Air Show in Reading, Pa
LHA Timeline - WAVES
Strawberry Banke Timeline -WAVES
1920s lawn party
D-Day Ohio
Fort 4
Collings

Union Station photo shoot with A Timeless Collection
Battle of the Bulge shoot with A Timeless Collection
18th century shoot with A Timeless Collection





Sewing goals for 2019

New mid 18th century stays - Started but no where near finished as now September 2019
One new 18th century gown to go with stays - I've actually started two new gowns, one cotton and one wool. You can see my progress so far over on IG.
19teens corset - Cut out a mock up but that project is on hold for now.

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Sold But Not Forgotten - Du Barry 2413B

I haven't blogged in some time, so today I'm writing up a quick post on a past sewing project to help get back into the swing of things.

This dress is easily one of my top ten favorites of all the reproduction pieces I've made to sell so far. This super cute 1930s/40s reproduction cotton print was a lucky find at my local fabric shop. (I was also able to find it in a purple colorway as well!) A few of you may remember the first time I used Du Barry 2413B, waaaaay back when I first started sewing 30s/40s clothing for myself. It's a great pattern and one I can see myself sewing a few more times!

It's a fairly basic pattern but it has some great details too. I love the option of the little V-shaped pockets! They make the perfect accent for a war-era dress. While the skirt does have some tiny pin tucks, they are kind of lost in this particular print. I think in a solid fabric they would stand out a bit more.

Here are a few in progress shots on the dress. Another thing I like about this dress are the little pouf sleeves and gathering at the shoulders.


Playing with some trim for the pockets! I ended up using this cotton eyelet. It helped break up the bright red print just bit. I added some dark colored vintage buttons from the stash too for the same reason.



Here are a few photos of the finished dress. I'm very happy with how this one turned out.



My friend Christiana bought the dress and she looks amazing in it! She even wore it for a photo session with A Timeless Collection. Here are a few images from that shoot, shown with permission.

Photo by A Timeless Collection

Photo by A Timeless Collection

Interested in purchasing a reproduction dress or blouse from me? Have a look at my Etsy shop.

Summary of the Pattern
Fabric: Late 1930s/early 1940s reproduction cotton print
Pattern: Du Barry 2413B
Year: About 1938/39
Notions: Buttons, thread, cotton lace trim
Time to Complete: Start to finish, I'd say about a week. It's an easy pattern to complete in a weekend if you have the time to sit and sew.
How historically accurate is it? Pretty darn close! The pattern is original vintage and the fabric is a historically accurate print. The buttons and lace trim, though vintage, are likely 1950s or 1960s.
Any tricky parts to the pattern? I've made this pattern once before and it goes together pretty easily.
Did you change anything? I chose not to add a side zipper. Instead of adding a collar I just turned but the front edges to form mini lapels.

Friday, April 26, 2019

Blog Update!

Hi folks!! It's been a looooong time since my last blog post! Just wanted to post a quick update to let you know I have not forgotten or abandoned this site. I have lots of things I want to blog about but finding the time over the last year has been a challenge.

I'm still sewing, still trying to sell my reproduction clothing, and working on a couple different research projects to get ready for some exciting events this summer. I also plan to do a little house cleaning on this site and change things up just a bit.

For regular updates on my sewing and research projects be sure to follow me on Facebook and Instagram. That's all for now!!


Photo by A Timeless Collection

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...