Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Polo Ponies and a Vintage Adventure

We had big plans for last weekend. We were to attend a 1920s themed beach party Sunday morning and the 2nd annual Roaring 20s Lawn Party at Castle Hill in Ipswich, Mass. Cori and I went last year and had a great time. So this year we planned to bring our friends Jenn and Julia. However, the weather had other plans and everything has been postponed until this coming weekend. Hopefully we will still be able to go.

We decided to make the best of things and planned our own outing. The weather was bright and sunny on Saturday so we took advantage of it and hopped in the car to head to one of our favorite places to watch a polo match. It's been years since the last time I watched a live match so this was lots of fun for me. I think Cori and the girls had a great time as well. The home team, in green, won the match!




I helped Jenn and Julia create some simple 1920s dresses for the lawn party. I let them pick fabrics from the stash and helped them cut out pattern pieces. They did most of the sewing themselves and I think the dresses turned out rather well. I'm very proud of them. Julia's dress was made using this pattern while Jenn's was made using a combination of patterns and inspiration from fashion plates. 


I wore a 1930s dress that I've been dying to wear for the longest time. It's all cotton and perfect for a hot summer day.


Cori wore a new to him vintage suite and his 1920s straw boater. Doesn't he look dapper? :) The people at the polo match got a kick out of us all dresses up.



After the polo match we headed to the Quechee Antique Mall to have a look around. Much fun and silliness was had.


What we like to think of as "our" phone booth was still there. It's be come a silly tradition now to take pictures in it. Example here. :)


As it was late in the day then train and carousal were closed. Next time we will have to get there earlier. I love carousal and firmly believe you are never to old to ride one.




6 comments:

  1. I am amazed that, no matter which style you wear, you always look so lovely!
    We have terribly bad weather in Switzerland too. Makes me think about autumn. Best regards, Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doris,
      That's so kind of you to say! It's a rare occasion that I get to wearing something 1930s. I love jumping around different time periods. I would be hard pressed to pick just one to recreate!
      -Emily

      Delete
  2. A very lovely dress and seems very perfectly suited for your event:) How fun! I wish they had more things like this around where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We're going to try and get a bigger group of people to go to another polo match in the future. :)
      -Emily

      Delete
  3. Fun outing! It actually did rain here at my house, which sort of justified the delay of the 20s lawn party, I thought. I was still sad that it didn't happen last weekend, especially since it seems that a lot of people won't be able to make it to the rain date. And, it looks like it might rain again this weekend... :( You look lovely, as usual, as do the two new 20s dresses and Cori's suit! The stripes are great.

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn,
      These photos were taken on Saturday which, at least in VT, was nice and sunny. It poured on Sunday so I can understand why the lawn party was postponed. I just checked the weather for this coming weekend and it doesn't look much better. :( Hoping we can get a refund on tickets if they have to cancel. Last year the weather was perfect, go figure.
      -Emily

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...