Monday, February 9, 2015

18th Century Silk Beauties

Snow, snow, shovel, shovel, snow and more snow. That's been me life in New England lately. I can't complain too much, it's great for snowshoeing! I had a very productive sewing weekend. My plaid jacket now has sleeves! The hood is attached too. :) All that is left to do is finish off the hem and add buttons and button holes. (Sorry, no pictures at the moment.) I also made another blouse using my Hollywood pattern. It's finished too with the exception of buttons and button holes. Can you tell what I don't like to sew? :)

Anyway, today as I was scrolling through my blog feed and FB I came across a link for a recent French auction. What caught my eye at Thierry de Maigret were these 18th century silk beauties. Gowns and shoes, oh my!

Look at these silks!!

Robe à la française 1750-1760 Source

Robe à la française 1750-1760 Source

Robe à la française 1750-1760 Source
How can you not love this?! How pretty this would be for a spring event! This whole thing reminds me of a very tastefully decorated Easter egg. I just wish there was a front view.

Robe à la française 1765-1770 Source

Robe à la française 1765-1770 Source
 Look at the use of fabric on the side of this gown.

Robe à la française 1765-1770 Source
I'm not a huge fan of peach but this gown with it's stripes and floral pattern is pretty darn delightful. The auction listing also provides a nice view of the petticoat.

Robe à la française 1765-1770 Source

Robe à la française 1765-1770 Source
 Only the front portion of the petticoat is trimmed as that is what would be seen under the gown.

Robe à la française 1765-1770 Source
Another beautiful robe à la française 1770. This one with pretty pink trim and a button front stomacher.

Robe à la française 1770 Source
 And then there are shoes. First this pair with embroidery and spangles!! Ooh spangles!

Source

Source

Here is another great example of 18th century shoes in silk with a diamond pattern. I posted about these before here and here. Light blue and sea foam figured silk shoes seem to have been rather popular. They are the colors I've seen the most.

Source
Source

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Such lovely images! I love that peach petticoat! Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings, Lexi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...