Thursday, December 24, 2015

A Little Vintage Decor for Christmas

Hello again! My goodness, is it really Christmas Eve already?!?! It's hard to be in a festive mood when we have no snow! Ah well, I'm sure we will have some soon enough.


Today is a quick post. I wanted to show you some of my Christmas decorations. I was hoping to show you pictures of my Christmas skirt, but I'm still working on it. Hopefully I can get it finished in time to wear to the church service tonight!

I love that our living room has a fire place and mantel. There are some many options for decorating! I'm actually planning a post for early in the New Year to show you all the different ways I've dressed it up since we moved into our new house. Christmas of course is the best time for decoration in my opinion, and almost anything goes.

If you look closely you can see a geeky selection of DVDs. :)

I used a mix of old and new things to decorate. Faux greens, lights and colored balls to start and then incorporated some vintage and antique items. Nestled among the greens are vintage hair combs, old photos and some hat boxes. I also placed a stack on hat boxes on the hearth. Don't worry, we're not actually using the fire place right now! The green glass insulators are great for placing over battery operated tea lights. Each year I pick up one or two new gift boxes. They are great for decorating as well for those who don't like wrapping gifts. It's great that they can be used over and over, cutting back on wasteful wrapping paper.


A box set of mother of pearl cuff links and shirt studs and a sparkly rhinestone purse complete the mantel decor for this year. I don't have any pictures of our little faux tree in the kitchen, but like last year I decorated it with vintage bits and bobs.



My outfit is a mix of old and new as well. The silk scarf and sweater are vintage, the skirt is me-made and the shoes are from Royal Vintage Shoes. (I will be writing a full review of them later on.) The  one I made back in 2012 and was patterned from my 1940s brown suit, you've seen the suit a few times on my blog as it's a favorite of mine. The skirt was among my first attempts at taking a pattern from a vintage piece of clothing. The sweater is another favorite. It was part of a vintage sweater gold mine a found at a near by thrift store! Some one must have cleaned out grandma's closet because I purchased 5 fabulous vintage cashmere sweaters all in one swoop!



What do you think? Should I plan more vintage home decor posts for next year? I'd love to hear your ideas!

Well, that's all for now. Merry Christmas Everyone!! I hope Santa brings you everything on your wish list!


Outfit Details
Silk Scarf - Fort Anne Antiques
Sweater - Thrifted
Skirt - Made by me
Shoes - Royal Vintage Shoes

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful christmas tree you have! I adore that ribbon! And your look is splendid, those shoes are so cute. Happy Christmas!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! I LOVE vintage Christmas decorations and yours are fabulous! I really like all the wonderful hat boxes at your hearth! What fun! And mantels are the best for decorating aren't they? What wonderful things you have to make you home Merry!! Merry Christmas to you Emily!!
    Blessings!
    g

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute tree trimming outfit! I feel like you stepped right out a 1940's home photograph ~ the whole look is just right. The mantel looks lovely ~ we had one in our old house, and I miss having one now, so I have to substitute with a bookcase instead. :p ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...