Thursday, September 17, 2015

A Leisurely Labor Day Weekend

It's so nice to have a long weekend to enjoy at home. We had a little stay-cation as Cori's work schedule didn't allow us to travel. That's alright though, it was good to get some much needed cleaning, sorting, cooking, etc. done. I will have a couple food related posts coming up for you soon!


Last Monday was Labor Day so I decided to treat myself to a day of doing nothing! OK, not exactly true, I did get several things accomplished. But the morning was spent lounging and enjoying a new to me copy of a Sears and Roebucks 1942-43 fall and winter catalog. (I will have more of that to share later.) So of course I needed proper lounge attire.


This lovely blue and white polka dot hostess gown was gifted to be by one of my readers. Diane recently found my blog and contacted me to see if I would be interested in a vintage dress to remodel. I very gratefully excepted and in a few short days it arrived. My first thought when I unwrapped the dress was "Oh dear, it's much too long. I'll have to shorten it." And then I tried it on. I realized then that it was not a dress in the traditional sense, but rather a hostess dress or dressing gown. The type of garment meant to be worn around the home. And it fit perfectly with the exception of the length.

Don't worry, this will not be cut up or remodeled, I love it too much the way it is. It has pockets, little velvet ties and the cutest collar detail! And most important, it's comfortable and fun to wear!



It's still a bit long but when paired with a pair of cute boudoir slippers with heels, the length is just about right! I purchased these super cute slippers on ebay last year. They are just like this pair from FabGabs but without the slingbacks and are made from a multi-colored striped moire faille. The knotted pom pom on one of the shoes it a little wonky and will probably need to be reattached at some point. Eeek, I love them!!



This hostess gown was perfect to pair with my new robe. I don't have a lot of pink in my wardrobe but for some reason was really drawn to this piece. To be fair, it's more raspberry then pink. Check out the print! The dressing robe is made from a silky rayon material with a label that reads "Styled by Saybury."


It will need a bit of repair work here and there but over all is in great condition. It's another comfortable and creditably fun vintage piece to wear around the house.



Outfit Details
Hostess Gown - Gifted by a dear reader
Dressing Gown - Kriegsende Militaria 
Scarf - Thrifted
Slippers - Ebay 

Next Wednesday I will be releasing all the details for my fall photo contest! Stay tuned!!

7 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful, comfy looking ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delightful hostess gown! And I am SO envious of that Sears & Roebuck catalog! I do hope you will share more about that. :D

    Cheers!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brigid! Yes I will certainly be sharing more of the catalog! The binding is split so I have to handle it gently but there are so many awesome things in it that need to be shared!
      -Emily

      Delete
  3. Oh my Squeeeeee!!! You are darling! I am so loving your Labor Day outfit!! What fun! And I am so jealous of your outfit! The prints and colors and the slippers and your scarf! Huzzah you!!
    Blessings!
    g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my GOODNESS, those slippers! To die for, I tell you. And that hostess gown is lovely, too... how very fun to get such a wonderful thing in the mail. I don't think I have a real hostess gown in my collection yet, but yours looks so comfortable that I might just need to look into changing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frances! I'm so happy with those slippers, they are so ridiculous and fun! I really need to get some better pictures of them to share. This is the only hostess gown I own but I can see why they were so popular with women!!
      -Emily

      Delete
  5. Oh, I remember this! I loved it then and I still do! So cute.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...