Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I Need a Red Coat

Sooo..... I think I need to make myself a new coat this winter. Ok, so winter is half over I know but still. I need one in red wool. With fur trim. End of story!

Why, you ask? Because of these amazing 1940s coats! I fell totally in love with them. What a treat to find (almost) vintage twins! Anyone know where I can find an affordable pattern for a late 1930s or early 1940s style princess seam coat?

This one from Wildfell Hall Vintage sold last month.
This one was listed by Dear Golden.
This truly drool worthy coat was posted recently by Dear Golden on their Facebook page. It's similar to the one above except this one has a fur hood! A FUR HOOD! Um, yes please!! :)

Source Dear Golden on Facebook
I wish this Hollywood pattern was in my budget because it would be perfect. Ah well. I'll have to go through my stash to see what I have that might have similar lines. Is it me or are coat patterns from the late 30s and early 40s hard to find? Original coats like the ones above seem to range in price from $200 to $400 and up. So making one if far more practical for me. Plus I already have the red wool. :)

http://www.sovintagepatterns.com/1940-Beautiful-Coat-Pattern-Princess-Style-With-Side-Closing-Featured-Movie-Star-Lucille-Ball-Hollywood-535-Vintage-Sewing-Pattern-Bust-34-FACTORY-FOLDED_p_5678.html

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the second one (with the fur hood). Beautiful and stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Princess coat patterns are very hard to find. I've been looking:) I'll keep my eyes out for you too. I give you big amounts of credit for being able to tackle a coat and on top of this get it done before winter finishes:) They are grand coats. I'm on the hunt for the perfect late 30s princess coat, maybe I'll find it this summer when everyone is thinking about beach pajamas. I actually just sold a red swing coat (princess type) earlier this winter, but it wasn't fur trimmed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butterick has a coat pattern By Gertie #5824. It isn't princess seam, but with a little adaptation could be changed to one.
    http://butterick.mccall.com/b5824-products-27972.php?page_id=872

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a sucker for red wool coats too! And yes, that hooded number Dear Golden has in her clutches is absolutely breathtaking!!! That would be my dream coat. *sigh*. I would say as far as finding a pattern goes, if you're game enough you could alter a princess seam dress pattern to be a coat. Or if you're really ambitious you could draft a pattern! ;)

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about this little beauty in red velvet? Yum!! https://www.etsy.com/listing/203271608/asquith-silk-velvet-jacket-vintage-1930s?ref=shop_home_active_1
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...